Welcome to Way 2 Universities Education
Untitled Document
 
ANDHRA UNIVERSITY (AU), VISAKHAPATNAM  
 

Vice Chancellors

It was headed by Dr. Cattamanchi Ramalinga Reddy as the Vice-Chancellor from 1926 to 1931 and in a further second term from 1936 to 1949. It was headed by Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan in the interim period from 1931 to 1936.

Admissions to various postgraduate courses offered by Andhra University will be generally held through the Andhra University Common Entrance Examination.

 

Jurisdiction

Presently the university is catering the educational needs of five districts in Andhra Pradesh, namely Visakhapatnam, East Godavari, West Godavari, Vizianagaram and Srikakulam.

 

Infrastructure

The university contains two sections, the south campus and north campus. The south campus houses the Arts, Humanities and Sciences departments along with the administrative block. The north campus (established in 1962), comprises the engineering College.

The university has four constituent colleges. The college of arts and commerce is the biggest constituent college in the university with 28 departments offering 55 courses. The college of science and technology has 19 departments, which offers 44 courses. The college of engineering has 16 departments involving in undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. The college of law has been identified as an advanced center in law by University Grants Commission.

The university has a school of distance education (started 1972). The school has 32 study centers across the state and a study center at New Delhi.

The university campus has 19 hostels for men and 4 hostels exclusively for women that accommodate more than 4,300 students. Residential accommodation of 340 units of staff quarters is available on the university campus. The university also has three Health Centres, a homeopathy dispensary, three guest houses, a faculty club, an open air theatre and a campus school for the children of university staff.

 

AU Colleges

  • Colleges of arts and commerce
  • College of science and technology
  • Autonomous college of engineering
 

Campuses outside the university

It has established campuses outside Visakhapatnam to meet demand for post-graduate education. Campuses are located in Etcherla, Srikakulam district, Kakinada, East Godavari district, Tadepalligudem, West Godavari district and Vizianagaram. An earlier campus at Guntur City, established in 1967, became Acharya Nagarjuna University in 1976. Andhra University has produced many research scholars and doctorates. It is one of the top university in the South India.

 

Affiliations

There are 575 affiliated colleges spread across five districts under the territorial jurisdiction of Andhra University. The enrollment in undergraduate courses is more than 76,000 and in PG Courses more than 20,000 students. The University is supported by about 860 teachers and more than 2500 non-teaching and technical staff.

 

Distinctions

Andhra University is the first university in India to offer an under graduate programme from 1957.

 

The Rising Sun with its rays of light represents the University and its many faculties of study. The Lotus is the seat of both the Goddess of Prosperity (Lakshmi) and the Goddess of Knowledge (Saraswathi) and it is opening at the break of dawn.AU Emblem The sun's rays are surmounted by the Swastika, the ancient symbol of benediction among the Aryans. The outer circle of the crest, with its sixty-four lotus petals, represents the sixty-four Arts & Sciences into which all knowledge was divided in the classical tradition of India. The ocean is the vast region of knowledge which the University should help its alumni to master.

The light rays holding the benedictory Swastika bring into focus our great motto extracted from Upanishads, "Thejasvina-Vadhitamastu", which means, "May the Divine Light Illuminate Our Studies". Underneath this complex symbolism of knowledge is the crescent Moon, esteemed in all religions; the crescent is 'Kala' a digit of Moon, and 'Kala' also means Art of Applied Science or light and charm. Since the University bears the name of Andhra Viswa Kala Parishad, a corporation for the development of all Arts in Andhra; the crescent above the name be-speaks the light and charm and beauty of Andhra.

The two Serpents or represent the seekers and custodians of wisdom, who imbibe it from the lotus petals. Tradition also traces back the Andhras to the ancient Nagas, who were worshippers of the Cobra and had it as their heraldic symbol.

Dr. Cattamanchi Ramalinga Reddy, the founder Vice-Chancellor of this University choose this emblem designed by Sri Koutha Ramamohana Sastry, which enshrines the lofty Upanishadic ideal :

" Thejaswinavadhitamastu "

  Links
Website of
http://www.andhrauniversity.info/
  << Back